The Hygge Life ...

My sister-in-law writes a travel blog. It's a really good read. Her and my brother have a real sense of adventure. They travel to exotic places and do exciting things. Safari. Scuba dive. I read the blog and see the photos and wonder why I have no desire for the same adventures. I realise now it's because when I travel I'm not an adventure girl. I'm a comfort girl.

As I write this I am sat in a little cafe in Copenhagen in Nyhavn. I am sitting out on the street enjoying my second pot of coffee. I came to this area yesterday so I have my bearings and know exactly where I am and where I want to go next. I feel comfortable and at peace. No sense of agitation. Reflecting here has made me realise how little I feel that comfort in my everyday life. I push myself and my boundaries most of the time. I have grown accustomed to the feeling of discomfort most days. At work. Out running. Even at home I am usually doing something. I only sit to watch a film with my daughter. I read to learn not for fun anymore. I struggle to write.

As other people only tap into their sense of adventure when they travel, I seem to only access comfort when I am away. Copenhagen is one of the friendliest cities I have visited. It has a relaxed vibe that suits me perfectly. I could stay here for weeks. I know my brother would be bored in a few days. However, I also know the first thing he and my sister-in-law would do is visit the two Michelin starred restaurant here. Because together they strike the perfect balance for them. If you read her blog you will see what I mean. They do adventure and luxury. They scuba dive and stay in an all-inclusive bungalow on a beautiful white beach. They safari and camp but return to the UK via a 5 star hotel.

I need to build more comfort into my life. Not because I need a sense of adventure when I travel (I am very unlikely to ever scuba dive!) but because I want to feel more at peace in my life. I want my daughter to remember our times of adventure and our times of comfort. And who knows? Maybe if I feel more comfort in my every day life, one day I'll ski, safari, and snorkel on my holidays too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Safety

Reflections on 2017 ...

Facing My Demons